« Home | Whatever it takes » | Things not to do on a rainy cold Saturday in late ... » | Everything you ever wanted to know, in 600 pages o... » | Writing alone for throusands of miles » | If this blogs a rocking… » | Music Review: The Tragically Hip "World Container" » | The many faces of D » | The announcement » | Felt like sharing » | An Ottawa Vignette »

Full Circle

W: Oh, it’s like that big ball of black anti-matter that’s pushing everything out!

D: You mean like in that book?

J: Oh, that was a great book!

W: You want to know another great book?

And so the evening went. Ever since little baby Boh was more that just a glint in his dad’s eye, W and J, our old ‘stop-by-for-a-few’ friends have become slightly more scarce. Of course, the scarcity is entirely excusable, and expected. And, truth be told, I am amazed at how often they do make appearances. W, the prototype wired Mommy, is just as involved in the work-time email trains as she ever was. And J never hesitates to call on a whim and tell us about the beautiful sunset he’s watching from the grocery store parking lot. The last two parties I’ve been to, both at their pad, and both in the last three weeks, have been a blast.

When I first met W and J, we were on a ski weekend near Temblant. The most vivid memory of J that weekend was the incredible pasta he made for everyone in the chalet. I think he did all the dishes too, and drove a bunch of people up.

W’s first impression came when I was playing bartender. I was taking my time opening and pouring a beer for her –perfectly of course - while she sat and watched. I guess she was a bit thirsty, and proceeded to tell me to “hurry the hell up with that brew”. That was just about the only thing she said to me all weekend. Good times. Yet, I don’t remember either of them skiing very much.

Model parents they have become, and indeed always were. They are also model friends, and have been through a number of very different phases in their lives. And I’m sure they will remain so, after all; the more things change, the more they remain the same.

K: And I’ll bet she even got her dress made for free in Italy.

W: I’m sure she’s really picky about stuff like that.

D: And can afford to be.

W: Like that big body of anti matter pushing everything out…


D.

Here here!

Awwww....so sweet!

Post a Comment