« Home | Full Circle » | Whatever it takes » | Things not to do on a rainy cold Saturday in late ... » | Everything you ever wanted to know, in 600 pages o... » | Writing alone for throusands of miles » | If this blogs a rocking… » | Music Review: The Tragically Hip "World Container" » | The many faces of D » | The announcement » | Felt like sharing »

Mmmm... Coffee

Coffee and I have always had a bit of a rocky relationship marred by unfortunate observations and bolstered by clear-headed delight. The question remains unsolved in the depths of my poor brain: when I love coffee, is it only because I am being seduced by the addictive components, and conversely, when I disavow any affiliation, is it only because of an unclear, still sleepy brain?

I had a roommate once who would drink three large Timmy’s Triple-Triples before lunch, two bad campus coffees during the day, and a homemade pot before bed. It got to the point that he couldn’t function without it. One morning, he almost slept through a 9:00am exam. I woke him up in the nick of time by busting into his room and shouting at him. He got up like a bolt, took one step, and proceeded to fall forehead first onto his desk because his brain refused to communicate with his legs without first benefiting from a caffeine jolt. He made it to the exam and wrote it without the benefit of coffee, while dealing with a concussion. I think he failed the class. Another friend once calculated the amount they spend of coffee a year, which under a student budget fuelled by loans, parents, and bad part-time jobs, can be a scary realization.

But the good times, they are good. Working in my alpine paradise atop the Alps of Helvetica, the pace of boozing, ‘boarding, and working necessitated a coffee every now and again. Starting the breakfast shift on my own at 6:00am allowed me free reign of the four-star hotel’s kitchen, which I would use to make the ultimate coffee. Take one soup bowl, inject two espresso shots, and fill with frothed milk and two packets of brown sugar. That was enough to erase whatever horrible tequila and croissant hangover I might have had.

With a few weekend exceptions, I have been coffee free for almost about half a year now. I like to detox every so often, after all my body is a temple. But that streak has come to an end. I have a large thermos full of coffee on my desk which will stay hot all day. I think the benefits of this new method of coffee consumption negate any negatives. Firstly, the coffee itself, bought in a fancy coffee roasting house in the ‘Peg, and brewed in a French press, is awesome. Secondly, the eternal warmth of the thermos ensures that I can regulate the intake of caffeine throughout the day, thereby keeping a constant coffee buzz and not have to worry about crashing until the bus ride home.

So I give a big "huzzah!" to coffee as I prepare to take on the waking world with new chemical enthusiasm.

D.